Oral Cancer Screenings
Early detection of oral cancer is key to treatment and survival.
At The Grove City Center for Dentistry, we take oral cancer screenings very seriously.
Like any cancer, early detection is key to treatment and survival. According to the American Cancer Society, about 50,000 people develop oral cancer each year and about 9,700 people will die from it. Oral cancer is also one of the most curable cancers when diagnosed early. That’s why our team incorporates a thorough oral screening into every dental exam.
An oral cancer screening is simple and painless and is easily performed as part of your regular check-up.
The Oral Cancer Screening Procedure at The Grove City Center for Dentistry
- During your regular dental hygiene exam, we will search for any bumps on your inner cheek, gums or tongue that look or feel unusual.
- Dr. Simone and Dr. Lowe will review your health history and ask if you have had any soreness in your mouth, and then check for any signs of oral cancer on your head and face.
- If we see any signs of oral cancer, we will recommend you visit your regular doctor for additional consultation.
What are the symptoms of oral cancer?
Oral cancer can occur in any area of your mouth, including your cheeks, gums, lips, tongue, throat, salivary glands, pharynx, larynx and sinuses.
If you are experiencing one or more of these symptoms, please contact GCCD or your doctor immediately:
- Sores, lumps or abnormal patches in your mouth.
- Unexplained loose teeth
- Hoarseness or a sore throat that lingers
- Red or white lesions in your mouth or on your lips
- A “feeling” of a lump that is stuck in your throat
- Swelling of your gums
- Ongoing numbness or tenderness in your mouth, including your tongue
- Problems moving your jaw or tongue for no apparent reason
If you have additional questions about Oral Cancer Screening, contact us at email@example.com or (614) 389-9264. Feel free to use our online contact form below or even click to schedule an appointment online at your convenience.