Sterilization in our dental office
Your health and safety while visiting our office is our primary concern. That’s why we make sure proper controls and precautions are in place to protect our valued clients and staff. We practice high levels of sanitation and dental sterilization so that we’re able to provide you with the highest quality of care in the safest environment possible.
Rest assured that state of the art practices and protocols in cleaning dental instruments and dental office sterilization are utilized to keep you safe and healthy.
Practices to ensure client safety
Our staff is extensively trained to follow procedures recommended by the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Their recommendations and best practices are integrated into our regular daily routine.
Further, we employ the use of dental autoclaves, dental sterilizers, and steam sterilizers in our office. Using these machines to clean dental instruments applies pressure, steam, and heat to kill bacteria and viruses.
We make sure that surfaces are safe and clean by:
- Requiring the use of gloves and face masks for clients and staff
- Ensuring disinfectant hand soap and sinks are available throughout the office
- Using disposable materials when possible
- Cleaning countertops and surfaces with EPA approved chemical disinfectants
- Sterilizing equipment before and after each use
You’ll see our team actively utilizing these best practices during your visit. All clinical staff will be wearing disposable gloves and masks during procedures and examinations. Surfaces in exam rooms will be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized before, during, and after your visit.
Disposable materials used when possible
Most, if not all of the materials we use in our patient care are disposable. These include face shields, masks, gloves, gowns, as well as brushes, floss, and gauze.
Our staff is trained in best practices in using and handling disposable materials, ensuring they are properly stored, properly used, and properly disposed of after each patient visit.
Reusable instruments sterilized after use
Instruments used in procedures and exams that can’t be discarded are thoroughly cleaned and disinfected between each use. The following process is in place to ensure proper dental sterilization practices are followed:
- Clean – All instruments are thoroughly cleaned using ultrasonic cleaners, which make sure that all bacteria, germs, and other debris are completely removed.
- Package – Once clean, instruments are wrapped in FDA compliant packaging prior to sterilization.
- Sterilization – Once safely packaged, instruments are sterilized using FDA approved dental autoclave sterilizers.
- Disinfect – After every use, our machines and surfaces are thoroughly disinfected using EPA approved cleaners.
Once cleaned, packaged, and sterilized, instruments are safely stored until ready for use. Our dental sterilization process and protocol follow best practices and ensure that your only concern when visiting our office is how great your smile is going to look when you leave.
Our commitment to you
Your trust and confidence in our team is the foundation of our practice. Our staff undergoes rigorous training in cleaning techniques every two years to ensure that they’re practicing the most current methods.
Our procedures and systems are updated regularly following the guidance of the American Dental Association and the CDC. Should you have any questions for us, just ask! We will gladly provide you with additional information and detailed descriptions of the steps we take to protect you and your family from bacteria, infectious diseases, and viruses.
Give us a call to schedule your next appointment. We look forward to seeing you soon!